I've made this cute mermaid tail blanket for my daughter using Visage Textiles/The Craft Cotton Company poly spandex scale fabric. Here's the link to my YouTube video showing you step by step how I made it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8oGLQsnVb8
As I said, I used a poly spandex but you could use any fabric you'd like. It is lined with a black fleece for extra comfort! I made a template of the tail and used that to cut out the pieces. I've also stuffed the tail to give it more shape. I've used a metre of the scale fabric and the fleece fabric. I would say this size is good for a baby or small toddler in this size, if you want to make it for a child that is 2/3+ I would recommend using more fabric. But you can judge this against the child when you draw the pattern! The finished size of my blanket is 42cm wide (at the widest point) and 60cm long (not including the tail) The waistband is elasticated but I decided this after filming... -Once the blanket was fully made, I made a channel by sewing a line below the top stitched line, slightly wider than the elastic I wanted to use. -I measured the elastic slightly smaller than the actual blanket so it would ruffle. -Then I opened one of the side seams to feed the elastic all the way through. -Then used a zig zag stitch to join the ends of the elastic. Simple!
Hope you like this project, please like this video if you do and subscribe to my channel if you want to keep up to date with what I'm making
Thank you!
Kym x

Comments
Post a Comment