So this is the first time I'm writing a blog, which seems strange because everyone and their dog has a blog these days, but here we go...
I live in London with my boyfriend Gildas (Gilly) and our beautiful daughter Vienna-Rae. I work as part-time as a Visual Merchandiser for a company called Superdry, which is actually where I met Gilly about 5 years ago! (aww)
The reason why I wanted to start this blog was to document and chat about my experience whilst learning to sew. My mum is the VERY talented Debbie Shore, sewing author/blogger/youtuber/presenter extraordinaire, so you can see where I get my inspiration from!
Now that I have a little girl, I want to be able to make her everything! This might just be a fantasy of mine... or I might end up being able to make her gorgeous clothes, we shall see!! I would love to be able to make my own clothes but I’ll start with the basics and see which direction I steer off to. I have no idea what I enjoy making yet as I've just started out these past few months but looking at Instagram daily (... ok hourly) I find myself mesmerized by embroiderers, but in the same sense I'm mesmerized by cake decorating and make up art but I'm not about to take any of these up any time soon! Anyway, I digress..
I've been helping mum out here and there for a few years now, but more recently with sewing exhibitions, organizing projects for magazines and assisting with social media/techy stuff. I never fully appreciated the work shes put into her job before I started to work with her so its about time I followed suit.
This year is looking exciting with lots of sewing exhibitions scheduled across the country, working on mums brand and not to mention what I'll be making in between...
So here is where my sewing journey begins!
I live in London with my boyfriend Gildas (Gilly) and our beautiful daughter Vienna-Rae. I work as part-time as a Visual Merchandiser for a company called Superdry, which is actually where I met Gilly about 5 years ago! (aww)
The reason why I wanted to start this blog was to document and chat about my experience whilst learning to sew. My mum is the VERY talented Debbie Shore, sewing author/blogger/youtuber/presenter extraordinaire, so you can see where I get my inspiration from!
Now that I have a little girl, I want to be able to make her everything! This might just be a fantasy of mine... or I might end up being able to make her gorgeous clothes, we shall see!! I would love to be able to make my own clothes but I’ll start with the basics and see which direction I steer off to. I have no idea what I enjoy making yet as I've just started out these past few months but looking at Instagram daily (... ok hourly) I find myself mesmerized by embroiderers, but in the same sense I'm mesmerized by cake decorating and make up art but I'm not about to take any of these up any time soon! Anyway, I digress..
I've been helping mum out here and there for a few years now, but more recently with sewing exhibitions, organizing projects for magazines and assisting with social media/techy stuff. I never fully appreciated the work shes put into her job before I started to work with her so its about time I followed suit.
This year is looking exciting with lots of sewing exhibitions scheduled across the country, working on mums brand and not to mention what I'll be making in between...
So here is where my sewing journey begins!
Enjoy the ride Kimberley.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteGood luck on your journey! I'm sure you'll get loads of great hints and tips from someone very close to you!!
ReplyDeleteI hope so!
DeleteGood luck hun. Your Mum is a fab lady and a dear friend. If you are anything like your Mum you will be just as amazing. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Best of luck sweetie. Sending love from Deepest, Darkest Devon xxxx
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your new venture! I'm sure you will discover which sewing aspect you love best, and what you are going to tutor us on YouTube with! I have loved learning with your Mum, my very favourite teacher, and I am very happy to support and follow you too. Best wishes to you Kimberley!
ReplyDeleteMy Mum was very talented like your mum, she was a seamstress, could make anything, she could knit or crochet anything. My problem was I didn't have any interest what so ever in any of it.!!! Now many years later I have found this love for sewing, and that was because of your mum. Watching her you tube videos which I love, and buying her cd's and books. I wish I had learnt from my mum, but was to busy going out. So it is lovely to see that you are doing what I didn't do and learning from your mum the best teacher you will ever have. Good luck with everything you do, and how great that you now have that wonderful to share together. Lyn xxx
ReplyDeleteI too had a mum that sewed, she had a treddle singer sewing machine and I remember having a go. I had one of those small toy ones which was like a miniature one, not plastic like today. But I never got into it. Then in later years my mother in law gave me her sewing machine. I made some Roman blinds. Last year I had a new one but didn't make an awful lot but then I discovered your mum on You Tube and was hooked. I made a tote bag, a drawstring one and the makeup bag with the brush holder around it. I was so proud of myself. I had all the "build a bag" books for Christmas and when my knee is better as my sewing room is upstairs I will be making bags. Your mum got me back into sewing as she makes it so easy. I have loads of long zips now and love making things with them in. Take all the knowledge you can from her, she is such a great teacher. I loved the cushion cover you made with the jelly roll strips. All the best in everything you make, I am sure you will do well. Jill xxx
ReplyDeleteJust found you Kimberley. Hope it's going well. If you're learning from your Mum you can't go wrong. She's an inspiration.
ReplyDelete